The Main Branch of the New Westminster Public Library is currently undergoing a renovation project which is expected to be completed by September 2018.
Service disruptions will be kept to a minimum as the library will remain open during the majority of the construction phase.
We will provide updates for the public on this page as well as on social media. Please follow @NWPLibrary on Twitter and watch the hashtag #NWPLreno for the latest time-sensitive news.
|Current Stage||Duration||Completion Date|
|1. Design Stage||6 months||Jun 30, 2017|
The current uptown library is comprised of the original 1958 building and the 1978 west side extension. The only significant improvement to the building interior was a $400,000 design change to the public areas on the second floor in 2005. Use of the building has increased significantly since 1978, both in the volume and type of use. As a result, interior infrastructure unchanged since that time is now clearly in need of replacement or upgrading.
- Community Survey identifies the outdated Uptown Library as a source of dissatisfaction for many library users
- NWPL Board highlights the need to improve the Uptown Library in their 2015-2018 Strategic Plan
- Library staff identify critical areas of improvement and renewal
- Mayor Cote and City Council approve the Library Renovation Project as one of their Strategic Priorities in November of 2015
- Pre-Design work and costing are finished in February of 2016
- New Westminster City Council approves budget for Renovation Project in October of 2016
- Dedicated Teen Space
- More efficient public service desks
- Workspace changes that will enhance workflow and improve service
- New ends on shelving
- Additional Study Room
- Technology Learning Centre
- Built-in technology in Plaskett Room
- Built-in technology and kitchen upgrade in Auditorium
- Accessibility upgrades and refurbished public washrooms
- Upgrades to older public area lighting
- New lighting on the exterior of the building
- Increased building efficiency through improved lighting and replacement of windows
- Replacement of most ceilings and HVAC ducting
- Improved electrical configuration and new electrical transformer
- Painting throughout the building
PROJECT COST COMPONENT
Exterior Landscape Work
Total Project Cost
Need to Know Information
Jan 9 – Jun 30
Successful applicants for Design Phase of project:
David Norman Architect Inc.
Contact Person: Dave Norman
Acumen Engineering LTD
Contact Person: Maciej Lewandowski
Jade West Engineering Co LTD
Contact Person: John Makepeace
The construction tenders will be done when the design phase is complete.
Aug 2017 – Sept 2017
Oct 2017 – Sep 2018
* please note that these dates are approximate
Julie Spurrell, Chief Librarian
Phone: 604-527-4675 | Email: email@example.com
Susan Buss, Deputy Chief Librarian
Phone: 604-527-4669 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Erin Watkins, Manager of Programs & Community Development
Phone: 604-527-4678 | Email: email@example.com