Public Access to the Internet
Internet access is considered to be an extension of the information resources made available to the users of the New Westminster Public Library. Unlike the resources made available within the Library, Internet resources are not specifically selected by professional staff. When the Library makes Internet access available, it is with the understanding that users must make their own judgments on the accuracy of the resources consulted.
i. User Access
- Public access workstations will be made available in the Library as funds permit. The Library reserves the right to limit access by time or registration.
- Users must use their own card and may not use a card belonging to someone else, even with that person’s permission.
- Printing will be available from Internet Stations.
- Visitors to the library may request temporary logon.
Any user attempting to breach security will be banned from using the system.
iii. Internet Use Policy
Computers have the following information posted near them:
- New Westminster Public Library takes no responsibility for the accuracy, timeliness or appropriateness of the broad range of information available over the Internet.
- Users are responsible for material accessed. Parents and/or guardians of minors are responsible for monitoring material accessed by minors.
- The Library reserves the right to deny access to anyone using the workstation for illegal, actionable or criminal purposes, seeking access to unauthorized sites, or for infringement of copyright. The Library assumes no responsibility for any direct or indirect damages arising from the use of its connection to the Internet services.
- Offensive material must not be displayed on the computer screen. The Library reserves the right to ask users to leave sites that the Library deems inappropriate for viewing in the public library setting.