The Main Branch of the New Westminster Public Library is currently undergoing a renovation project which is expected to be completed by Summer 2019.
Service disruptions will be kept to a minimum as the library will remain open during the majority of the construction phase.
We will provide updates for the public on this page as well as on social media. Please follow @NWPLibrary on Twitter and watch the hashtag #NWPLreno for the latest time-sensitive news.
Main Branch will be closed from August 21 to 27.
- We will not have access to our entire collection. Core collections will be available from our fiction, non-fiction, DVDs and CDs for both Adult and Youth. The most popular and well-used items will be featured.
- Items that aren’t moved upstairs to the second floor won’t be accessible during Phase 3 of the renovation, which is expected to last for six to eight months. Come to the library and take out your favourite items now so they are accessible during Phase 3.
- Loan times are extended and renewal times are extended. The adjusted loan times are now:
- 21 day item can be borrowed for 42 days
- 7 day items can be borrowed for 21 day
- 3 day DVDs for 7 days
- Adult programs, including ESL Conversation circles and New Westminster Historical Society evenings continue in other community locations. Check here for more details.
- We are finalizing the locations for our Children’s programming. Check back for updates!
|Current Stage||Duration||Completion Date|
|Construction Has Started||18-24 months||
The current uptown library is comprised of the original 1958 building and the 1978 west side extension. The only significant improvement to the building interior was a $400,000 design change to the public areas on the second floor in 2005. Use of the building has increased significantly since 1978, both in the volume and type of use. As a result, interior infrastructure unchanged since that time is now clearly in need of replacement or upgrading.
- Community Survey identifies the outdated Uptown Library as a source of dissatisfaction for many library users
- NWPL Board highlights the need to improve the Uptown Library in their 2015-2018 Strategic Plan
- Library staff identify critical areas of improvement and renewal
- Mayor Cote and City Council approve the Library Renovation Project as one of their Strategic Priorities in November of 2015
- Pre-Design work and costing are finished in February of 2016
- New Westminster City Council approves budget for Renovation Project in October of 2016
- Dedicated Teen Space
- More efficient public service desks
- Workspace changes that will enhance workflow and improve service
- New ends on shelving
- Additional Study Room
- Technology Learning Centre
- Built-in technology in Plaskett Room
- Built-in technology and kitchen upgrade in Auditorium
- Accessibility upgrades and refurbished public washrooms
- Upgrades to older public area lighting
- New lighting on the exterior of the building
- Increased building efficiency through improved lighting and replacement of windows
- Replacement of most ceilings and HVAC ducting
- Improved electrical configuration and new electrical transformer
- Painting throughout the building
PROJECT COST COMPONENT
Exterior Landscape Work
Total Project Cost
Need to Know Information
Jan 9 – Jun 30
Successful applicants for Design Phase of project:
David Norman Architect Inc.
Contact Person: Dave Norman
Acumen Engineering LTD
Contact Person: Maciej Lewandowski
Jade West Engineering Co LTD
Contact Person: John Makepeace
The construction tenders will be done when the design phase is complete.
Costing came back on budget.
Aug 2017 – Sept 2017
Completed November 2017
Dec 2017 – Dec 2019
Started Dec 5 2017
* please note that these dates are approximate
Julie Spurrell, Chief Librarian
Phone: 604-527-4675 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Susan Buss, Deputy Chief Librarian
Phone: 604-527-4669 | Email: email@example.com
Erin Watkins, Manager of Programs & Community Development
Phone: 604-527-4678 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact these organizations for further details about their meeting and event space.
777 Columbia Street
1st Street & 3rd Avenue
Centennial Community Centre
65 East 6th Ave
620 8th Street
700 Royal Avenue
Inn at the Quay
900 Quayside Drive
Queensborough Community Centre
920 Ewen Avenue
810 Quayside Drive
Buy-Low Foods Meeting Room
555 6th Street
Waves Coffee table reservation
599 6th Street
Waves Coffee Meeting Room
715 Columbia Street
1190 8th Ave