If the New Westminster Public Library doesn’t own an item that you want, we can try to borrow a copy for you from another library from within Canada. This is called an Interlibrary Loan (ILL). The following guidelines apply:
- Books and periodical articles only may be requested
- New books (those published in the past 12 months) are not available
- Books that our Library owns are not available through ILL; you must place a hold on our copy
- There is a limit of 5 active ILL requests at a time
- We will notify you by email (or phone if you do not have an email address) once your ILL arrives
- You have one week to pick items up; there is a $1 charge for books that are not picked up
- You are responsible for replacement of lost or damaged materials
- The loan period is three weeks and cannot be renewed
- ILL books must be returned to the New Westminster Public Library
ILL borrowers must wait 3 months before re-requesting the same item. This includes borrowers who do not pick up an item that has been brought in for them.
Most ILL requests are free; however, some libraries and institutions charge a fee to borrow. Borrowers must be willing to accept any charges before a request will be processed.
Your New Westminster Public Library card must be in good standing. (NOTE: Your card is not in good standing if you owe more than $10.00 in fines or other charges, have more than 5 items overdue or have 3 or more claims returned items.)
The material you request can only be checked out on your own library card.
To request an interlibrary loan, contact a librarian at the Information Desk or place a request using instructions below:
- Navigate to Outlook Online
- Search for the book using the search bar at the top of the screen
- Click on the item and then click Request This Item
- Fill out at least the required fields in the following form
- Click Submit
Personal info is collected for Interlibrary Loan use only [by authority of the Library Act and Sec. 26 Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act] and may be shared with another library in BC. Questions? Contact the FOI/Privacy Officer: http://www.nwpl.ca/privacy/privacy.php