Book Club Resources
Looking to start a book club or needing new titles for your club’s next read? NWPL has book club sets available for loan. We’ve got a great selection of titles to explore, in a variety of reading genres – so chances are we’ve got something your club will want to read. For most book club titles we also have reading guides for loan to support you club’s discussion.
Need more information? Email AskUs@nwpl.ca or call 604-427-4660.
Choosing a Book
We have books in every genre, as well as book club sets for English language learners. To see what’s available for loan today, check our on-line catalogue here for a list of current titles: 2022 BOOK CLUB SETS or download the 2022 Book Club Sets Printable List . You can also browse the collection in person at our main branch.
Can’t quite find what you’re looking for? We have a variety of resources to help you choose your next book club title.
- Freading provides access to a small selection of ebooks that are always available. No more waiting lists! You can borrow up to 3 titles per week.
- Overdrive provides our largest collection of ebooks and eaudiobooks! Access thousands of titles from Overdrive using the Libby app.
Online Selection Tools:
- Novelist: is a reader’s advisory tool to help you find the perfect book, including 100,000+ fiction books for all ages. Users can find books according to a favourite author, plot, settings and other elements.
Borrowing Book Club Sets
Book Club Sets
We have book club sets that contain up to 15 copies of a title as well as an accompanying reading guide to use during your group discussion. The entire set can be checked out to the group’s coordinator, or single books can be checked out to each club member. You can reserve your copy online, or call us at 604-527-4660 to reserve multiple copies. All book club items are available for a 6 week loan period.
Book Club Sets for English Language Learners
Are you, looking for a fun way to practice your English reading, speaking, and comprehension skills? Why not start a book club! We have book club sets tailored to support your English language learning journey. Find a full list of these book club sets here: ELL Book Club Sets.
Online Book Club for Kids
Kids aged 9-12 are invited to join the Online Young Readers Book Club. Once a month after school we meet virtually through Zoom to discuss a great book and have fun conversations. Each participant receives a free copy of the book to keep! This program generally runs from September to May.
Need more information or want to register? Contact the Children’s department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-527-4677.
How to Organize and Run a Book Club
Not sure how to facilitate a book club? Check out these resources to help you get started.
- ALA: Book Discussion Groups Quick Start Guide
- Book Riot: How to Start a Book Club that Doesn’t Suck
- Canadian Book Clubs: How to Start a Book Club
- Lit Lovers: How to Start a Book Club
- Penguin Random House: Getting Started: How to Start a Book Club
- Book Club Companion: A Comprehensive Guide to the Reading Group Experience by Diana Loevy
- Build A Better Book Club by Harry Heft
- Good Books Lately: The One-stop Resource for Book Groups and Other Greedy Readers by Ellen Moore
- Read ’em Their Writes: A Handbook for Mystery and Crime Fiction Book Discussions by Gary Warren Niebuhr
- Reading Group Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Start your Own Book Club by Rachel Weiss Jacobsohn
Hosting a Book Club Remotely:
Would your club rather meet online? There are many free digital tools that help you meet with friends remotely:
Most book club sets at NWPL will have a companion reading guide to support your club’s discussion of your chosen book. You can also find many reading guides online for specific titles. Check out these sites for more information: