The New Westminster Public Library currently owns artwork that may be displayed in the Library or be stored for future use. From time-to-time, the Library is offered gifts of artwork, including paintings, photography, textiles, and three-dimensional works such as statuary. When considering the suitability of a donation, the Library will use the following criteria:
- The artist or the subject of the work has a direct connection to New Westminster
- The gift is in good condition and does not require any restoration or repair
- Paintings or other items intended to be hung are framed and suitably prepared for hanging or display
- The library has space to display or store the work
When a decision has been made that a work of art is suitable for the Library’s collection, the Donor must agree on the following conditions:
- Gifts must be unconditional, transferring ownership and all rights of ownership to the library.
- Gifts are accepted only with the understanding that the Library has the right to determine retention, location, and other considerations relating to the use of disposition of the donated gift.
- The Library may display the gift or not.
- The Library may sell the item and use the proceeds for any purpose appropriate to the library’s mission.
- The Library may transfer ownership to any other person or agency it deems appropriate.
The Library will not supply Income Tax receipts for donation without appraisal by a recognized Art Appraiser. Donors are responsible for having their gifts appraised for Income Tax purposes, and the cost of any appraisal must be borne by the donor. Only appraisals that are not more than 12 months old will be accepted. No appraisal is necessary if the donation does not need an Income Tax Receipt. Before any donation of artwork can be accepted by the library, a Donation form must be signed by the donor and the Chief Librarian or the Chairperson of the Library Board. The Donation Form transfers ownership of the gift to the Library and clarifies the conditions of this policy.
The Library reserves the right to refuse a donation that does not meet the collection criteria or the previous conditions.
Please note: The Arts Council of New Westminster also considers art donations from local artists. More information can be found here: https://artscouncilnewwest.org/gallery/art-donation/