Posting date: December 30, 2019
Beginning early in the new year you may notice a difference in the way ebook and eaudiobook holds and hold checkouts are handled. These changes have recently been announced by Overdrive, the company that provides downloadable ebook and audiobook services to local libraries.
When will these changes take effect?
Overdrive has not indicated the exact date these changes will take effect, only that they are due early 2020. We will post an update as soon as we know the exact date of implementation.
What will be different?
There are several planned enhancements to ebook/eaudiobook holds and checkouts as follows:
- Beginning January 1, 2020, you will be allowed to place 7 holds and checkout 7 ebooks/eaudiobooks. This is an increase from the 5 books and 5 holds allowed to date.
- Holds will no longer be automatically checked out to your account. This will allow you borrow books when it is most convenient for you to read them. How it works:
- You will receive a notification that your hold is available.
- You will have 3 days to check it out.
- If you do not check the book out it will automatically go to the next person on the waitlist.
- Your name will be reinserted into the holds queue in the same position and you will receive the book again in the near future.
- This will only occur once. If you do not check the book out the 2nd time you are notified, you will lose your place in the hold list and have to place a new hold on the title, and be placed at the end of the hold waitlist.
Is the upgrade optional?
No. All libraries use the same platform from Overdrive and therefore the upgrade is mandatory.
What about other features. Will they stay the same?
All other features such as your custom settings, saved lists and all current holds will all remain exactly the same.
What if I still have questions?
If you have questions or concern, please contact us at 604-527-4665, see us in person or email us at email@example.com
Interested in borrowing ebooks or eaudiobooks from our Library-2-go service? have your NWPL library card handy and visit https://bcpl.overdrive.com/